What's new

[suggestion] Create New Thread Global

someone

Reaction score
Hi @wmtech,

I'm testing your Create New Thread Global add-on and I have a few suggestions for you which I hope could be implemented soon. These suggestions apply to the "Node Select Menu Form" method. My suggestions:

Suggestion #1. When the option "Show Categories?" is ticked, only "Simple Node Listing" is following it. This is bad, the "Node Select Menu Form" should also honor this option and show categories in this way:

Category A //not clickable
Forum 1A
Forum 2A
Forum 3A​
Category B //not clickable
Forum 1B
Forum 2B
Forum 3B
This way the list of forums will look better and more organized.

Suggestion #2. Instead of providing two buttons "Continue" and "Cancel" you should get rid of them and make the system to directly go to forums/xxx/create-thread after the node is clicked on the list. This is going to be more efficient from a user stand point because one less click is required to perform a simple and common action (create a new thread).

And I have a third suggestion, way unrelated but here you go:

Suggestion #3. Please move your wmtechlc.php to somewhere like library/WMTech or some other place but not in our main directory.

Thank you,
someone

wmtech

WMTech Staff
XF Licensee
Reaction score
Hi @someone ,

thank you for your suggestions!

Re suggestion 1:
It is not possible to add non-clickable items to a html select menu. If you want a more organized look, you need to switch to the "1-click" menu option.

Re suggestion 2:
This is a good idea, however some people fail to select the correct item from a scrollable select menu at their first try. This is why we do not automatically javascript&send the selection but require to click "Continue" once they are satisfied with their selection. If you want a 1-click option, again, you need to switch to the "1-click" menu option.

Re suggestion 3:
The "library" folder is not accessible from the web. Our license check file is placed correctly in forum root (like all other files which needs to be accessible) and will stay there.

someone

Reaction score
Hi @wmtech, thank you for your quick response!

I am with you regarding suggestions #2 and #3, however I hope you can reconsider suggestion #1. Could you please double check if this isn't possible? There is another similar add-on available (Brivium's) that appears to be able to show non-clickable items in the drop-down menu.

create_thread_form.png

I really hope you can implement suggestion #1 because I don't like the look and feel of "Simple Node Listing" and I prefer to use "Node Select Menu Form" however I need it to look better (more organized) and to achieve this I need to display the categories in the list.

I'll be more than happy to buy a branding free license of your add-on as a reward for you to implement this feature.

Thanks!
someone

wmtech

WMTech Staff
XF Licensee
Reaction score
I am with you regarding suggestions #2 and #3, however I hope you can reconsider suggestion #1. Could you please double check if this isn't possible? There is another similar add-on available (Brivium's) that appears to be able to show non-clickable items in the drop-down menu.
We may have indeed a solution for that problem and include it in the next update. But, since this add-on was last updated some days ago it may take some time until it will be released.

Also this add-on may be switched to a paid add-on, probably with the next feature release. A competitor released a similar add-on with less features and worse performance for $10 and it seems to be selling good. It also has been grown out of it's free status with the many feature releases we had in the last months. But the combined license + branding free will be less than the current branding free cost.

wmtech

WMTech Staff
XF Licensee
Reaction score
I really hope you can implement suggestion #1 because I don't like the look and feel of "Simple Node Listing" and I prefer to use "Node Select Menu Form" however I need it to look better (more organized) and to achieve this I need to display the categories in the list.
This suggestion has been implemented into the new version 1.0.6.